This is not a second baby quilt I ever made. It is the second quilt I made cutting a bigger quilt top, into 2 baby quilts (take a look at the first one). I finished a bigger quilt top, set it aside waiting for an appropriate backing fabric to appear, when I realized I need a baby quilt for my son’s teacher in two days. The quilt top as it was, was way to big for a baby quilt, but cut simply into two pieces, it was too, small. Too narrow. The solution was to add some linen – for the first one, I added a single strip to widen it. For this one – which was even narrower, I added a few strips of linen between strips of squares of varying widths.
I planned to quilt straight lines along the width and length of the quilt, 1/4 in on both sides of seams, as I usually do when I have a simple grid like this. There was a problem however…. when I separated the strips of squares and added the linen between there was some distortion and the corners didn’t match anymore – so I could not quilt straight lines across the width, crossing the linen strips. They were not straight lines. I couldn’t even quit diagonal lines, for the same reason. I ended up quilting next to seam lines vertically, and then zig-zag lines down the strips.
I am not so crazy about this one. The only thing that comes to my mind is… bla. I am not crazy about the squares arranged in strips. There was probably another arrangement I could have come up. I am not crazy about the quilting. I have to admit I really just wanted to finish it. Not too proud of it…
I do like binding… I used a thrifted sheet. It was a little thick to work with, but looks very nice.
Finished size: 43 x 49 in.