Tag Archives: Tolva quilt

Tolva quilt – finished!!!

I think this is the first quilt that I photographed right after it came out of the dryer.I am glad that I decided to finish it – I really like how it came out! And my kids already wanted to cuddle up with it. Nice.

I quilted this one pretty densely, free motion, your basic all over swirls. I wanted it to be densely quilted because of all the seam, a lot of which could not be pressed open. I prefer pressing my seam open because than the seams lay flat, if I press them to the side – there is always that tiny little “step” on the front, which I don’t like.

I was lucky that my machine didn’t give me any problems. The whole quilting process went pretty smoothly, with the thread breaking only once. Last quilt – the dash-dot – I just could not free motion quilt. Skipped stitches, breaking thread – you name it. It just would not work. I tried everything. This time – Not one problem.

I think my machine has a problem free motion quilting vintage sheets (dash – dot was 100% repurposed sheets) – The only place I did have a problem with this quilt was in a place where I used vintage sheets. I can’t really explain it. Is it the fact that vintage sheets are 50/50, not 100% cotton? But why would that be? (I did try different needles – no luck)

I was a little worried about using all the colors – but I think it worked out.

I don’t have a good binding picture – you can sort of see it below. It’s an orange stripey vintage sheet.

The back is another thrifted find. It’s from an Ikea comforter cover. Cotton, a little stretchy, so I had a few snags – but when I washed and dried it – you can barely see it.

I liked how it looked against light, so I had to take a picture of it…. See all the seams?

I always liked hexagons, and one of those days I will attempt to do those tiny little ones. But for now, the big hexagons will have to do. Cutting for this quilt was very easy – each of the hexagons is made out of six rectangles in different colors. Two by two rectangles are sewn together and then cut apart – same as half square triangles – except that the end result is a little kite shaped piece, not a rectangle. Then you combine those into hexagons. And the white – simply strips. So there was no triangle cutting (I am not very good at that), or sewing on a bias (even worse at that). There is a bit more trimming maybe, but for me, that beats cutting and sewing triangles any time.

I think my next quilt will be quite different but will use the same technique…

Tolva quilt:: basted

I just realized I did not take a picture of the finished top. This is as close as I got when I took this picture. Close enough.

And today I basted it. And started quilting. I am doing free motion, just your basic random swirls. I am quilting it quite dense, because I think this quilt, with all the seam lines requires that. I want it to be nice and flat.

Tolva quilt:: final layout

Just briefly… I finished the last four hexagons today. And then I worked, and worked, and worked… on the layout. After a few iterations, here is the final layout:

I probably should have taken one in focus. Oh, well…

Tolva quilt

I have been thinking about Half Rectangle Traingles ever since I saw this post by asquaredw. More specifically I have been thinking about the little kites she created by mistake. But I liked them and kept thinking how I can use them. Then just before the holidays I got to try my idea and I created this mug rug.  And then on Friday I started working on a quilt using the same hexagon block made up of little kites… This is the first one I created (as you can see this quilt will be much more colorful than the mug rug!).

I like the way it looks, but there was a little problem. If you create a hexagon like this you end up actually with two and I did not want to repeat them in the quilt (these are quite large… unsewn like this one, it’s about 14 in from tip to tip). So what am I going to do with two of each? (why two of each – because to create each kite, you use two rectangles of the same color. when you slash the rectangles in two – you get two kites, two same kites).

Then I made this one:

Again, there are 6 colors – three yellow and three blue, but instead of cutting 2 rectangles from each color, you only cut one. then you sew one yellow and one blue together to get two-color kites). This one is a little busier, but does not create any leftovers. And… actually I like how it seems I cut 12 triangles to create this.

This is another hexagon I created. You can see what each 1/6 of the hexagon, or the “kite” looks like. To assemble this I will sew half hexagons first, and then when they are all arranged, I will add strips of white around every other row of half-hexagons, then sew together half-hexagons in rows and finally sew rows together. I am being very clear, I know…

I am getting out of my comfort zone here, creating such colorful blocks. I am much more comfortable with single color blocks or even single color quilts. I am a little afraid that it will be too busy, but hoping, of course, that it will all fall nicely together once all the blocks are finished.

This was the first arrangement (I like to do this as I go. I also don’t select all fabrics up front, I do it block by block.):

But I did not like it that much. So I changed it, and this is what is currently on my design wall (minus one more block I did after I took these pics):

I like this better. We’ll see how it goes. I am still not 100% sure, we’ll see.

Sometimes I like to take a pic out of focus. Helps me visualize what it might look after it’s done…